Hunters

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
User avatar
white
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 906
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:59 pm
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:00 am

Er. Assuming I read that correctly...

Why would werewolves kill that many people?
Sanity is relative.

User avatar
Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:38 am
Custom Title: Going with the moon
Location: The Territories

Post by Ronkonkoma » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:12 am

Ralith wrote:That would make an interesting story in and of itself. A squad of werewolf-hunting soldiers... botched operation... one gets bitten, and procedure is to kill him, but he has a friend... escape... hiding from the government as the bitten man begins to feel the effects, and his friend tries to come to terms with the situation... Someone find an author :)
course it is a very interesting story.....you can promise and swear to an oath to kill anyone and anything "infected" with lycantropy, but what do you do when it is you, your friend, team member (or members? maybe wws bite -Everyone- in squad and lets them go!) You just think you know what you're going to do until it happens to you!

:howl:  :oo
Hmmm....you're right, that would make a good story in and of itself. *Grabs a notebook and starts jotting down notes* I'll add it to my list of "To Be Written".
wonder what else is on the "to Be Written" list? definately a story worth exploring

User avatar
Leighlia
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:54 am
Custom Title: Stalking the Shadows
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Post by Leighlia » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:32 am

Actually, considering my near life-long facination with werewolves, there is only 2 plots with them on that list...well, now maybe 3.

It's a list I started on in grade school containing some pretty good stuff, I think, and some kinds lame stuff. Most of it is fantasy based rather than sci-fi.

One for ww is what if they did exist, but the strong packs of old are gone, destroyed by human hunters and religious zealots, internal conflicts, territorial battles... What would happen to those that survived? There's more, but I'm still drafting.


Well, the list goes on and on....
Last edited by Leighlia on Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 6129
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:26 pm
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH
Gender: Male
Location: 29°30.727'N 98°35.949'W
Contact:

Post by Lupin » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:47 pm

celtwolf wrote:part of the bond thing might be a common experiance with werewolves, i.e. a friend or family member killed by one.
Er, I was talking about the bond between the hunters. Not werewolves.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image

User avatar
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:26 am
Location: chicago
Contact:

Post by celtwolf » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:09 am

Ralith wrote:Er. Assuming I read that correctly...

Why would werewolves kill that many people?
it's not really that they actually killed that many people. some of the people who think that their friend or relative was killed might've been wrong and the person they thought was dead was just bitten and made into a werewolf, leaving without any indication that they were left alive.

the more important part of my message was the 'us and them' mentality that people fall into so easily. werewolves are viewed as monsters, along with other peoples, religions, colors, and other things, because people have a tendency to see the best in themselves and the worst in others, and in some cases, bad things that aren't even there.
for example: the nazis exterminated millions of jews, blacks, gays, egyptians, communists, and many other groups, not because they particularly wanted to hurt people in general, but because they saw those people as 'them and not us', thus making those peoples less than what they were.
Image
i'm just stating what i know and what i think, if you don't like it, you can leave me alone.

i am the well-read werewolf
:read:

User avatar
white
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 906
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:59 pm
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:47 pm

Well, yes. This is a common and understood force in environments involving werewolves.
Sanity is relative.

User avatar
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 5193
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:03 pm
Custom Title: Spare Pelican
Gender: Male
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Post by Terastas » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:59 am

Ronkonkoma wrote:
Timber-WoIf wrote:or, he could simply use teh situation to his advantage and continue hunting other werewolves. Cept it might be a tad easier.
True, but that is also terribly ironic, and while there has been stories of half-vampires (blade, vampire hunter D) hunting vampires (or in Hellsing, Vampires hunting human-made vampires) In those sort of stories the antagonist is different than the Protagonist that is hunting them.
But when you get bitten and change into a Werewolf... there isn't any 'halfway' point, you become what you hate, fear and hunt, which is very dramatic, tragic, ironic, ect ect.

I just don't see how a hunter could use his lycantropy as an advantage to hunt other werewolves, plus since he's a WW, other hunters are likely to kill him just as soon as kill another WW.

Maybe hunter might get revenge by killing the WW that turned him, and get a nasty surprise that killing the WW that bit you doesn't let you be human again. :blink: :? :x

The werewolf hunting werewolf would probably be more worried about own survival over trying to exterminate werewolves off the face of the earth. become a rogue/lone WW living way away from others
As I said in a previous post in this thread, a werewolf hunter infected with lycanthropy would be lost at first, but he could eventually come to terms with what he has become and use it against his enemies. He would consider himself to be not a monster, but a victim of the monster -- a bite victim -- and he might even consider infection of lycanthropy to be a common hazard of the job. Thinking of himself as a werewolf victim would help him come to terms with being a werewolf; because he didn't choose to be a werewolf, he was made into one, therefore it is now his duty in life to ensure that no other human beings should suffer as he now suffers.

He could still theoretically retain any connections -- maybe even gain some -- after being infected with lycanthropy. If he pleads his case to any comrades in arms he has -- that he is a victim of werewolves and he plans to hunt them for the rest of his life, they may stick by him out of respect. There would, of course, be werewolf hunters that would try to kill him on sight, but he could maybe balance that out by working in partnership with other hunters-turned-werewolf (I imagine more than a handful of werewolves would delight in the poetic irony of infecting a hunter, therefore there might be more than just a few infected hunters out there) that have made the exact same resolution.

Even if the aim of the werewolf hunter(s) was the total anihilation of werewolves, all he would need to do to keep himself and any comrades loyal to the cause is promise to commit harakiri once their work is over. You are right that most werewolf hunters would panic and either kill themselves or eventually fall at the mercy of the pack, but any werewolf hunter worth his salt should know that people get killed in this line of work, and should think of death or infection as an inevitable part of the job.

And yes, it is the "us or them" mentality that allows werewolves to be hunted. The reverse could also apply for werewolves, but werewolves with an "us or them" mentality probably have a much higher mortality rate than those that do not.

User avatar
Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:38 am
Custom Title: Going with the moon
Location: The Territories

Post by Ronkonkoma » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:29 am

Terastas wrote:As I said in a previous post in this thread, a werewolf hunter infected with lycanthropy would be lost at first, but he could eventually come to terms with what he has become and use it against his enemies. He would consider himself to be not a monster, but a victim of the monster -- a bite victim -- and he might even consider infection of lycanthropy to be a common hazard of the job. Thinking of himself as a werewolf victim would help him come to terms with being a werewolf; because he didn't choose to be a werewolf, he was made into one, therefore it is now his duty in life to ensure that no other human beings should suffer as he now suffers.

He could still theoretically retain any connections -- maybe even gain some -- after being infected with lycanthropy. If he pleads his case to any comrades in arms he has -- that he is a victim of werewolves and he plans to hunt them for the rest of his life, they may stick by him out of respect. There would, of course, be werewolf hunters that would try to kill him on sight, but he could maybe balance that out by working in partnership with other hunters-turned-werewolf (I imagine more than a handful of werewolves would delight in the poetic irony of infecting a hunter, therefore there might be more than just a few infected hunters out there) that have made the exact same resolution.

Even if the aim of the werewolf hunter(s) was the total anihilation of werewolves, all he would need to do to keep himself and any comrades loyal to the cause is promise to commit harakiri once their work is over. You are right that most werewolf hunters would panic and either kill themselves or eventually fall at the mercy of the pack, but any werewolf hunter worth his salt should know that people get killed in this line of work, and should think of death or infection as an inevitable part of the job.

And yes, it is the "us or them" mentality that allows werewolves to be hunted. The reverse could also apply for werewolves, but werewolves with an "us or them" mentality probably have a much higher mortality rate than those that do not.
A group of lycantropy infected hunters could be more dangerous to WWs than plain hunters alone, and would probably work by attacking a pack directly, or indirectly by joining into a pack, and then try to cause conflict with another. Why do the hard work when you could possibly cause the WWs to fight and kill each other? Hunters with lycantropy could also start a pack, and take advantage of 'disillusioned' young lycantropes and create a gang-like environment where the hunter-pack is 'better' than other packs, so therefore other packs should be eliminated, again use WWs to hunt and hurt each other without realizing the hunter/lycantropes true agenda.

missed your eariler post there Terastas, sorry bout that :oops: sometimes i don't read things as carefully as i should :read2:

Veruth
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Post by Veruth » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:32 pm

A group of lycantropy infected hunters could be more dangerous to WWs than plain hunters alone
And there's always the advantages of lycanthropy too, like enhanced senses and regeneration. There would be the problems of things like scent trails in addition to all the ways a "normal" hunter could track

User avatar
greniar
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:44 pm
Custom Title: the scholar

Post by greniar » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:15 pm

Scott Gardener wrote:A common hazard among werewolf hunters, of course, is getting bitten and becoming the very thing they hate. I'm sure there would be more than one in which this was a problem. And, werewolves hunting other werewolves could get messy. Especially if their primary source of information on the legend is An American Werewolf in London, and they get in their heads that they can cure themselves by killing either the one who bit them or the first of the bloodline (who unless you have immortal werewolves in your storyline are probably long dead already).
It's actually from "An american werewolf in paris"
GRIFFON:I'm Griffon ,and I'm a werewolf
GIRL:your crazy!
GRIFFON:Perhaps I was too forward.

User avatar
wolfsangel
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:51 pm
Custom Title: if i sing a song will you sing along?...
Location: houston
Contact:

this is irony

Post by wolfsangel » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:30 pm

the ironic thing is, is that my great relatives were hunters; both kinds( i had a few crazy people in my family){i will inherit about four pelts soon}. :lol:
what most of you are descibing in the "catholic christian" hunters, that would be the free masons past job(before coming to america and being branded hyrtics by the Church) , but yall hit the nail on the head through the posts. :howl:  :oo bravo :howl:  :oo
...or will i just be singing right here by myself.
come on down!

User avatar
Faolan Bloodtooth
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:05 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by Faolan Bloodtooth » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:42 am

I dont know if this has been thrown around yet, but what about...

A Hunter who is simply 'following orders'...

For example, a Paranormal Hunting Organisation (most probably masquerading as a Private Investigation Firm for Strange Phenomenon) could have employed a talented and... 'disengaged' (i suppose is the word) hunter who mentally and morally distances himself from the reality of killing Werewolves and basically destroying their lives and, theres a big chance, severly affecting the lives of the pack he belonged to...

By distancing himself from his actions he would, quite possibly, eventually become completely, and willfully, ignorant of his actions

Just a suggestion :)

Laters
The Past Is Dead...
The Future Is Unborn...
The Moment Is Yours...

User avatar
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 5193
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:03 pm
Custom Title: Spare Pelican
Gender: Male
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Post by Terastas » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:41 pm

Ronkonkoma wrote: missed your eariler post there Terastas, sorry bout that :oops: sometimes i don't read things as carefully as i should :read2:
Not a problem, though I'm going to have to disagree with this:
. . . or indirectly by joining into a pack, and then try to cause conflict with another. Why do the hard work when you could possibly cause the WWs to fight and kill each other?
I think for a werewolf pack to hope to coexist in human society, they would have to be organized and wary of outsiders. Initiating themselves into a werewolf pack could be even harder than just identifying them and killing them. It would certainly be even more time consuming.

Initiation would also mean earning the trust of the werewolves, and that would run the risk of getting too close. Most werewolf hunters, human or werewolf alike, I believe, would be too disgusted by werewolves to even consider the possibility of getting to know them personally. A rookie might try to integrate into the pack, but I think the chances of them following through with the attack or joining the Pack in that case would be 50/50.

Killing people is only easy when you can convince yourself that they are not people. Getting to know a werewolf personally makes the process that much harder.

User avatar
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:49 pm
Location: Tucson AZ

I just had an idea...

Post by Dreamer » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:34 pm

For a story, somewhat similar to Legilah's but still different. Basically, a young hunter walks in his best frind's house finds out that his best friend is a Werewolf. They fight and during the fight, the hunter gets bitten and he faints. When he wakes up, he is in the house with a load of other werewolves and in a cage. Now, he has to adapt to what he is now and running from his former friends and family.
XIV

Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:53 am
Location: Finland

Post by Moonstalker » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:58 pm

Please no Christian fanatics in Freeborn, I hate them :cry:
I'm a Christian but I hate those fanatics who are trying make all look evil.
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...

Zombie
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:27 pm
Custom Title: Ribbed For Her Pleasure
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania

Post by Zombie » Thu May 03, 2007 5:01 pm

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think its plausible.

-Z

User avatar
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 5193
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:03 pm
Custom Title: Spare Pelican
Gender: Male
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Post by Terastas » Fri May 04, 2007 9:02 pm

Moonstalker wrote:I'm a Christian but I hate those fanatics who are trying make all look evil.
That's why they make effective antagonists. Even lifelong Christians resent fanatical Christians.

User avatar
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:01 pm
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Gender: Male
Mood: Relief
Location: Somewhere...
Contact:

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:04 pm

(Okay, i don't know if any one has posted this idea or one similar to it.
SHouldn't werewolf hunters have similar abilities to werewolves?
Strength, speed, agility, inhaced sense of smell, sight and hearing.
Hunters normally use those senses, don't they?
And about that whole, sniper rifel thing? Someone probably brought up the fact that if they miss, they're lunch meat. Pardon the exprension. Wouldn't it necessary fro them also to have either some healing abliiltes or not to be able to die at all, for them to compete with creatures that could rip them in half? It just seems wise to assume that the Hunters would either have to be equal with or have an advantage over werewolves, in order to successfully hunt, trap and/or kill them. Just a thought.)

User avatar
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:01 pm
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Gender: Male
Mood: Relief
Location: Somewhere...
Contact:

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:12 pm

(about the whole, humans intergrating with werewolf society in order to hunt them thing? Would it plossable that a human would be caught, but not killed, and the pack attempt to get him on thier side, in order to help them? Just an idea.) :o

User avatar
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:02 am
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica
Location: Planet Krypton (Or Australia)
Contact:

Post by Kirk Hammett » Fri May 11, 2007 4:24 pm

I saw some scary hunters once.

And I have never, ever, seen such immaturity.

They were 'lycan hunters'. They hunted therianthropes. Yes, therianthropes, like you and I, just ordinary humans with some animal spiritualities.

Frankly, I believe they were nothing but bored children.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-

User avatar
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 2595
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:06 pm
Custom Title: Wolfblood
Gender: Male
Location: Massachusetts

Post by Aki » Fri May 11, 2007 9:14 pm

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:(Okay, i don't know if any one has posted this idea or one similar to it.
SHouldn't werewolf hunters have similar abilities to werewolves?
Strength, speed, agility, inhaced sense of smell, sight and hearing.
Hunters normally use those senses, don't they?
And about that whole, sniper rifel thing? Someone probably brought up the fact that if they miss, they're lunch meat. Pardon the exprension. Wouldn't it necessary fro them also to have either some healing abliiltes or not to be able to die at all, for them to compete with creatures that could rip them in half? It just seems wise to assume that the Hunters would either have to be equal with or have an advantage over werewolves, in order to successfully hunt, trap and/or kill them. Just a thought.)
No more than a man who hunts lions needs their strength or speed. Werewolf hunters fall back on the human advantage - tool use. With the right tools, they grant themselves the ability to win, or at least a good chance to survive the encounter.

You choose your weapons, then once you have those, you can use a variety of ammunition for those weapons to increase their killing potential. If you can acquire armor of some sort, maybe even conceal it, your survival further increases. That way if the 'wolf somehow manages to close in, you have some protection against their claws and fangs.

S'not full proof, but it evens things out. Your opponent may have speed, strength, better senses, higher regeneration, but there's few things that can survive something like a shottie blast to the face. So a pump action shotgun would be an excellent weapon for a werewolf hunter due to the variety of shells a hunter can load into a shottie. Slug rounds for long range, buckshot for lethal close-quarters, etc. A sawn off shotgun is also pretty concealable to add another advantage.

And of course there's things that might mess with a werewolf's advantage of heightened senses. Flash bang grenade, a noisemaker that emits a sound only a werewolf's hearing will pick up, some kind of 'smoke' grenade to f*** with smell, etc.
Image

User avatar
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:34 pm
Custom Title: Devil in disguise
Gender: Male

Post by Set » Fri May 11, 2007 9:30 pm

...Now I've got this image in my head of a hunter spraying a werewolf in the face with Febreze. Thanks for that. :lol:

User avatar
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 5193
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:03 pm
Custom Title: Spare Pelican
Gender: Male
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Post by Terastas » Fri May 11, 2007 9:53 pm

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:(about the whole, humans intergrating with werewolf society in order to hunt them thing? Would it plossable that a human would be caught, but not killed, and the pack attempt to get him on their side, in order to help them? Just an idea.) :o
It's an idea that's been passed around frequently.

In the Blade movies, the vampires had "familiars," uninfected humans entrusted with any daytime activities necessary for their survival. The possibility of a pack having similar human allies has been brought up before.

User avatar
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 2595
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:06 pm
Custom Title: Wolfblood
Gender: Male
Location: Massachusetts

Post by Aki » Fri May 11, 2007 9:57 pm

Set wrote:...Now I've got this image in my head of a hunter spraying a werewolf in the face with Febreze. Thanks for that. :lol:
Haha. Hey - it might work if one catches you will you're doing the laundry or something! :lol:
Image

User avatar
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:49 am
Custom Title: No Title
Location: Currently watching your every movement...
Contact:

Post by Templar » Sun May 13, 2007 4:21 am

Kirk Hammett wrote:I saw some scary hunters once.

And I have never, ever, seen such immaturity.

They were 'lycan hunters'. They hunted therianthropes. Yes, therianthropes, like you and I, just ordinary humans with some animal spiritualities.

Frankly, I believe they were nothing but bored children.
Oh, I'd luv ta hear the story behin this...
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com

Post Reply